Walter E Long Metropolitan Park is an Austin gem
If you didn’t know, Walter E Long Metropolitan Park is home to Jack’s Generic Triathlon!
Walter E Long Metropolitan Park is located at 6614 Blue Bluff Road. Lake Walter E. Long (aka Decker Lake) spans 1,200 acres and features open spaces for boating, jet skis, fishing, and swimming. Visitors can also take advantage of two sand volleyball courts, picnic sites, tables, and grills. There are also hiking, running, and biking trails. Restrooms are available throughout the park. Locate parking, picnic sites, and various amenities with this interactive Google Map!
Pro tip: practice open water swimming before Rookie Tri and Jack’s Generic Tri. Stick to the designated swimming areas. Avoid the no swimming area by the boat ramp.
Park entry booth hours
Monday through Sunday*
- 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (second week of September – end of April)
Friday through Sunday*
- 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (beginning of May – first week of September)
*hours are dependent on the availability of staffing
Park entry fees
Walter E Long Metropolitan Park entrance fee is charged per day, per car at the pay station
- $5/day – Monday through Thursday
- $10/day – Friday through Sunday, plus holidays
- Walk-in: $1/person
- Pay stations should be used for all Day Use Entry for entry when a cashier is unavailable or after hours
Payment method: credit cards and coins will be accepted at the park entry area automated pay stations. Cash is NOT accepted for park entry fees.